Interesting Franciscan Churches in Slovakia
Church of the Annunciation of the Lord (Bratislava)
The Church of the Annunciation of the Lord and the Franciscan Friars Minor Monastery (popularly known as the Franciscan Church) is originally a Gothic, later stylistically modified set of sacral buildings in Bratislava.
Consecration of the church on March 24, 1297.
St. Stephen Church (Bratislava)
The foundation stone of the church was laid on 20 December 1711.
In 1717 the church was finished and on 6 June it was consecrated by the Bishop of Nitra Ladislav Adam Erdödy
St. Francis of Assisi Church (Bratislava – Karlova Ves)
The Church of St. Francis of Assisi is a Roman Catholic church in the Bratislava district of Karlova Ves. It is part of the monastery of the Minorite Order of Conventuals. The church was built according to the design of the Swiss architect Justus Dahinden. The construction of the church and the adjacent monastery began in 2000 and on March 9, 2002, the newly built church was solemnly consecrated by Archbishop Ján Sokol. A copy of the cross from St. Damian’s Church hangs above the altar.
Holy Trinity Church (Pezinok)
The Church of the Holy Trinity (other names: Capuchin Church or Capuchin Monastery) is a Catholic church in the historic centre of Pezinok. It was built in the first half of the 16th century. It is a Baroque single-nave church, which has a sanctuary divided by an altar into two parts – the sanctuary proper and the oratory for the monks behind the altar. It is entered through a tunnel.
St. James Church (Trnava)
It was built in 1632 on the site of an older Gothic building. It was given its final form in 1712. It is believed that in the first half of the 13th century, before the arrival of the Franciscans in Hungary, a monastery of another order, probably a Benedictine abbey, stood on the site of the present buildings. The Franciscans came to Trnava sometime in the 1330s and probably settled in a smaller house near the church of St. Helena, where the town hospital stood.
St. Barbara Church (Zilina)
The Church of St. Barbara, also known as the Franciscan Church, is a Roman Catholic church in Zilina. Currently, together with the adjacent monastery building, it is owned by the Order of Friars Minor Franciscan, but it is administered by the Convent of St. Martin de Porres in Žilina of the Order of Preachers (Dominicans). In terms of architecture, it is one of the most important Baroque buildings in Zilina. The church was built in the 18th century.
St. John the Baptist Church (Kremnicke Bane)
The Church of St. John is a Gothic Roman Catholic Capuchin church in the area of Kremnicke mines. The church was built in the Gothic style in the 13th century, two centuries later the nave was added. The location of the church is referred to as the centre of Europe and its peculiarity is its position on the watershed, where water from the northern half of the roof flows into the Vah basin and from the southern half into the Hron basin. At present, the Church of St. John the Baptist is administered by the Order of Capuchin Friars, whose monastery stands nearby.
St. Francis Church (Poniky)
One of a group of small early Gothic churches, built in 1310. In addition to its rich history, the church also has exceptional architectural values with an interior decorated with Gothic murals.
St. Ladislav Church (Spissky Stvrtok)
It is a Catholic, Minorite, monastic and Gothic church with Romanesque elements from the 13th century, baroqueised in 1693 and 1747. A chapel of the Zápolskis was added to the south side of the nave. The church was restored according to the design of the architect L. Steinhaus in 1899-1901. The facades of the church are plain, the tower in the upper part has Romanesque windows and is topped by a pseudo-Gothic spire with four slender towers from the Regioticist period of the late 19th century.
St. Anthony of Padua Church (Kosice)
The Church of St. Anthony of Padua (or also Franciscan or Seminary Church) is a baroque, originally Gothic church from the 14th century. It is located together with the Franciscan Monastery in Kosice.
St. Joseph Church (Presov)
The Franciscan Church of St. Joseph (popularly known as the Franciscan Church) is an early Baroque Roman Catholic monastic church in Presov from the end of the 14th century.